
SHAH ALAM, April 3: A total of 87 houses have been categorised as “total loss” that can no longer be occupied by its residents while another 148 affected houses would have to undergo repairs before the residents can occupy it, said Menteri Besar Selangor Dato’ Seri Haji Amirudin Shari here today when updating on developments surrounding the Putra Heights gas pipeline explosion on Tuesday, April 1.
Speaking at a press conference after chairing a meeting of the State Disaster Management Committee involving 39 state and federal agencies, he said the committee discussed both the forms of assistance to be given to the victims as well as the ongoing investigation into the incident.
A total of 308 families comprising 1,254 victims have been identified and registered with the Social Welfare Department.
Two victims are still under critical care at two government hospitals, namely the Hospital Ampang and Hospital Kuala Lumpur as they were exposed to smoke that have affected their lungs, he said.
Meanwhile, a total of 115 houses have been declared safe and residents from 85 houses would be allowed to return home starting Wednesday night as water and electricity supply have been also restored to these homes.
More than 400 personnel had been deployed to handle the crisis and more assistance will be given before moving into the recovery phase, he said, adding that the Subang Jaya City Council would be helping out in the cleaning of the area while volunteers were also encouraged to help.
There will also be daily updates on the situation, the Menteri Besar said.
On the investigation, he said it had already begun on Tuesday, and all areas will be covered, whether criminal, negligence, technical or non-compliance.
He said a total of 180 police reports had been made.
–WE